Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Visitors


Visitors

When visitors come to your home to visit, are you excited or do you want them to just go away?  Many people do not like the out of town guests and all that comes with entertaining.  I for one, love to have people stay at my home catching up on old times or new, playing games or just watching an old movie together.  

My grandma

I recently lost the most incredible woman in my life.  My grandmother passed away last month at the young age of 94.  She was the ultimate hostess whenever anyone came to her home, cooking, cleaning, preparing for the guests for days in advance. And did I mention, she worked full time too!  My grandmother would bake cookies, pies, cakes and make homemade ice cream, as well as making fresh salads and slaw at every meal.  Her cooking was to die for.  She made homemade pickles that were the most delicious pickles I have ever eaten.  She choose her cucumbers in the summer and packed and soaked them in a crock and special brine for weeks, then canned the pickles and stored them for aging.  

The little black book 

My grandmother had a little black book filled with information about her guests that she kept from the time she was first married until about three years ago.  She would list who came to visit her home, when they visited, their birthdays and listed each persons favorite main dishes and desserts.  She would also keep track of her visitors dislikes and would never think of serving them to you when you were at her home.  If she knew that you were going to visit, she would have all your favorites ready and waiting.  Even if you were stuffed after dinner, you had to have one of her homemade desserts of chocolate cake, apple pie or cookies and ice cream.  

Following her example

I have tried to emulate her qualities when I have out of town guests or any company visiting my home.  If someone took the time out of their busy schedule to come and visit me, then the least I could do is make them feel at home.  

1 comment:

  1. Penny...Love..Love,Love this!
    I for one have been a guest in your home..I have always felt Loved and invited at any given moment and time! Your grandmother would be very proud of you! Im so grateful your my friend and sister-in-law..
    Thanks for all you do and for who your are!
    Love Lorie <3

    ReplyDelete