Popular Posts

Saturday, April 23, 2011

An evening of Talk

My oldest son is very much to himself in most respects. He talks when he is ready and not a minute before. The other evening I called him for a brief phone call to discuss travel arrangements for my 8 year old grandson to come visit during the summer. I thought this would be a very short conversation as I had a very long couple of days and was totally spent. Well you guessed it, my son wanted to talk and talk and talk, and were still at it after two plus hours.

During the call my youngest son had come in the room and was very excited about his day and struck up a side conversation with his father. We were both on the call (speaker phone). Then my middle son called in to talk while were were still on the call with our oldest son. I thought to myself, this never happens. All three of my boys needed us for something important right then and there.

This seems like such a small thing to some, but to me it shows that we are never finished being parents. When our children grow up, they learn life's lessons and mature through the harsh reality of life. They are forever trying to figure things out on their own and trying hard to make it without any or with very little help from mom and dad.

Every now and then they do need us and little bit!

I am just grateful that they are comfortable enough with us to just talk about life issues that affect them and their families. We are truly blessed that we have such a great relationship with each one of them, that they will come to us in times of need or excitement or to just talk. My hope is that they can each build this kind of relationship with their own children so they can experience the same closeness that I feel with them.

I love my boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment